This might be the last post I do on Union Jacks. I know people do them all the time, and I've done one in blue and one in gray, but I really really wanted to do a traditional one. I'm sure I'll do more in the future, (and a tutorial at some point!) but I won't bore you with more posts on the same thing.
That being said, I feel like it is easy to do a sloppy job on the British flag and have it look a little "off". I am a perfectionist with SOME things (certainly not with keeping my house clean) and painting is one of them, and after painting the British flag 3 times, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to this.
I've seen several renditions of Union Jack dressers in traditional colors (varying colors of blue) but after I had originally seen it by Miss Mustard Seed, I really felt no one achieved perfection quite like she had with Sherwin Williams paints. BUT I was not about to go out and buy 3 more quarts of SW paint. I already had Emperor's Silk (which seriously looks amazing with dark wax) and Old White, so I went out and bought Naval by SW. Not cheap. Worth it. I had never used SW paints before. I've used Behr many times, but HOLY CRAP, if I ever want to paint something with latex, now I know better! It is like a cream! Seriously, so thick! And I barely used any when I painted this dresser with 2 coats!
When I saw this, I couldn't believe how good of condition it was in! I got to sanding the top right away. It took me a good 30 minutes to get the all the varnish and stain off the top.
Here you can see the original color on top, it was an orangey stain (yuck). I had just started sanding, and hadn't gotten down to the natural wood color yet.
Finished! I spent another 30-45 minutes sanding the top and body of the dresser. I know what you are thinking... why are the drawer pull still on? THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE! Someone painted varnish ON THE SCREWS meaning they will never get loose and be removed. Wo is me, because I had to work around those suckers! I sanded the whole body a bit, which I normally don't do, because I was going to be painting the whole thing with the SW latex paint, and it doesn't adhere to varnished surfaces like chalk paint does.
Fast forward a few days, after I did the following: wiped and cleaned the whole thing, stained 2 coats with dark walnut, applied 3 coats of wipe on poly, painted the body, used my projector again to sketch the flag on the front, taped, painted, removed tape, did touch ups, distressed, applied clear wax, applied dark wax (favorite part), AND applied antique gold rub n buff to the drawer pulls.
Behold her beauty:
The vignette was fun too. I picked up that little metal bi-plane from an antique store booth at 50% off! It is so unique and whimsical... and with the red color was meant to reside on this dresser top!
So fun! I can't wait to find this beautiful dresser a home! Even cooler, would be if I could find an ex-pat Brit!